Sunday, May 24, 2009

Good Old Blu
A few weeks ago, we said good-bye to a dear family friend, our 14 yr old German Shepherd.
I thought I would put to pen , a few memories of our buddy.
We got a call from the Ivins dog catcher "Mel are you still looking for a German Shepherd?" I said yes. "Well there's a man in Ivins that has to get rid to this dog because he keeps jumping over his fence. You can have him if you want him." We went right over and picked Blu up.
Well talk abt a beautiful dog. Multi colored black and tan, ears straight up and Big paws that was the part wolf in him.
We had a 1979 3/4 ton chevy pick up at the time. Blu could jump from the ground thru the cab window. That is what happened one day when I tried to get him in the back.
Well Blu went every where with us, Gunlock Lake he loved to fetch sticks and balls from the lake. Elephant Arch hike, Pine Valley Mtn trail, that's one hike we had to bribe Blu with Ice from the water jugs to get him to finish the hike. He was bone tired looking back on that hike , we were all bone tired.
Brenda, Vicki, Kate and I went to Paria Movie town site one trip. Blu stood guard all night while we slept in our truck beds. Boy talk about a windy night.
Blu loved Ice Cream . Jared would let Blu lick his Ice cream cone, then he would take a lick. Surprised Jared didn't get sick with all those dog germs.
Blu would love to sleep on our bed, he was so big we couldn't find room to lay down.
Blu was very protective of his family. Kevin was having his missionary farewell lunch at the house on Sunday. Mark a former scoutmaster to Kevin had his family here to say goodbye. Mark's son kicked Kevin in the shoe just playing around, when Blu flew across the room and nipped him on the leg. The Dog Catcher witnessed the event, and said " What I see here is a dog protecting his family." the boy cried for a little, but was fine.
Loren loved to play ball with the dogs in the back yard. There was a tremendous competition between Blu and Toby trying to get that tennis ball.
Blu had a peculiar habit. When you talked to him, he would duck his head and look up at you. Since his death, I've found out that is the nature of a German Shepherd.
Blu loved 3" dog biscuits. He would eat 4 or 5 every time. April would feed him then he come to me for more. I often thought, we shouldn't buy dog food, just fill him up in biscuits.
Every year we would go cut our Christmas tree. Blu would run along side the truck for a while.
His last days on earth were very hard for him. He would need help to get back up the stairs after going outside. He would bark to let us know when he was ready to come in.
Since his death, life at the our home has been very quite. I keep seeing him at night, asleep at the foot of the bed, keeping watch on his family. We all miss him.
Written by Mel.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

What a great dog!

Rus & Bren said...

Awesome tribute dad. I love it.